Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Habu Swatches

For days, I've been scheming in my head over what yarn to use for my SKIF patterns. Finally, I decided to see if I could do any swatching from my small Habu stash. I picked out some linen paper, silk-mohair, and laceweight merino--just using the colors I had on hand--and knitted a couple of small rectangles on US9 needles. (Why US9?--they're the only ones I could find--grrrrr... I have no idea where all my needles are hiding, but I digress...)

First, a strand each of black merino, green silk mohair, and natural linen paper.


Granted, it's a bit of a odd combination, but I simply adore the results. Oh, and It looks so much better in person, trust me. My five-year-old camera has not been performing well lately.
Anyway, I think this would be good for Neptune. It's very light, quite warm, and has a beautiful halo--not that you can see that, nor the beautiful colors in silk mohair yarn. The fabric is slightly crisp, but it drapes far more than I thought it would. I like the color combination, but, ultimately, I want to go with darker tones--a blue/black theme--charcoal , ink silk-mohair, and either black, blue, or green merino.

Second, two strands of merino--one black, one light olive--and one strand of green silk mohair.





I like this swatch very much--definitely for Zena. I love the feel of it. I can't stop fondling it--I'm like Lobo in Bride of the Monster.

I'll probably cast-on Zena in the next day or two. I'll be going out on a limb since I don't have enough of the green silk mohair on hand, but keeping in the spirit of SKIF, I'm not going to worry about that.


(Cross-posted on Knitopolis)




No comments: